Cohasset, Massachusetts is a small town on the South Shore, named for its rocky outcroppings and beaches. Cohasset is also known for its brooks, rivers, state parks, and a bird sanctuary. With all that wild space, access to water, and residences providing even more shelter and food sources, it’s no wonder that pest management is a major concern for homeowners- especially when it comes to rodents.
Mice and rats can cause structural damage, present health hazards, and compromise the air you breathe. Because rodents are notoriously difficult, and potentially dangerous, to remove on your own, it’s important to recognize the signs of an infestation in your Cohasset home.
Common Signs of Rodent Problems
- Droppings. Finding droppings is one of the most obvious indicators of a mouse or rat issue. Always use protective gear when cleaning up rodent waste to avoid transmitting disease.
- Gnaw marks. Rodent teeth never stop growing, which means they never stop chewing. Look for chew marks on baseboards, door frames, furniture, food packages, plumbing fixtures, and electrical wiring.
- Tracks or rubbing. The oils in rodent fur transfer to surfaces they come in contact with. Greasy-looking marks or footprints are a sign that rodents are frequenting a specific area.
- Nesting. Rodents prefer isolated spots such as drawers, wall voids, under appliances, and in forgotten corners of garages or attics. Nests will be made of materials like paper, fabric, string, & insulation.
- Noises. You may hear scratching, chewing, skittering, or thumping in walls or ceilings.
- Live sighting. Rodents multiply rapidly, so if you see a mouse scamper across the floor, chances are there are more where that one came from.
Even more important than knowing the signs of a rodent infestation is having a professional on your side. Burgess Pest rodent control experts have what it takes to keep mice and rats out of your home, and if they’ve already made their way in, we can help with that too. Call us for a free estimate at the first sign of a problem!